Saturday, March 21, 2009

Match Day in Malawi


On Thursday at 7pm Malawi time, with Sarah by my side, the new U2 album playing and a cold Carlsberg beer in hand, I opened my email to discover where I had matched for residency. To our great delight, we found out that I had matched to the Traditional Internal Medicine Program at Yale-New Haven Hospital. After calling family, we went out to “The Block” bar to celebrate with the Michigan State University medical students (see picture).

By way of background: this last fall, in between our Guatemala and South America adventures, Sarah received a job offer with the Department of Justice. They flew her from Mexico City to Washington DC for an interview, and then offered her a position with the Executive Office of Immigration Review court in Hartford, Connecticut. I quickly changed my residency application to include CT programs and hoped for the best.

So now that this piece has fallen into place, we will return to Baltimore for graduation, then pack up our house and move to New Haven, CT. Residency orientation begins June 12th, Sarah’s job begins in September.

Thanks to everyone who was sending out prayers and good energy on Match Day – we are very grateful that this has all worked out.

2 comments:

Marika said...

Congratulations! We're so glad it worked out for you guys!

j.daniel said...

congrats again cass! i love how you set the scene: wife, U2, beer, match.