Sunday, December 14, 2008

Where pine nuts come from December 7, 2008

For part of our outreach we went to talk to two brothers, who we will say lived on The Hill. The Hill community is comprised of two houses, far from any community and without electricity, in the middle of an arid harsh semi-desert stretch of land.

One of two brothers ushered us in to his very humble concrete house where we sipped on deliciously fizzy soda and spoke about companies who treat their employees horribly.
After our chat he signed up for the collective action and gave us three bags of pine nuts. I had always wondered where the overpriced pine nuts needed to make pesto came from.

It turns out the pine nut is in a pine cone. The pine nut has a very hard shell that you can crack between your teeth, but I was afraid of cracking my teeth so I did not try it. Alissa cracked a few with a garlic press upon our return to Zacatecas.

No comments: