Saturday, January 24, 2009

Oh happy day . . .Inauguration 1.20.2009

Back in the United States for a brief two weeks before we leave for Africa, Cassidy and I had the opportunity to attend inauguration and stay for two nights in Washington D.C. with our friend Katy June-Friesen. We were also able to go out on U-Street the night before inauguration to hang out with Avi, Libby, and Phyllis, some of Cassidy's friends from public health school. U- Street was packed with people--many going to bars and some all dressed up and heading to the unofficial inaugural balls.

The inauguration was even more inspiring than I had imagined. We were packed in the mall beside the Washington monument. We could not see the President, or even the front of the mall, due to the slope of the ground, but we had a good view of the jumbotron.


I found the inaugural address meaningful, especially when President Obama stated that we did not have to choose between our national ideals tracing back to our founding fathers and national security. We need to stay true to those ideals present in the nation's infancy. Some found this as an attack on former President Bush, but I rather saw it as an affirmation of what is true and good in America. These words and, I hope, action to come, signify a change in course from the path of torture of "enemy combatants" and surveillance of the American people.


Crowds on the National Mall


Jumbotron where we viewed the inauguration

Outside of the inaugural address I enjoyed Aretha Franklin's rendition of "My Country 'Tis of Thee" and the benediction by Reverand Lowery.


Sarah, Katy June-Friesen (friend in D.C.), Cassidy

No comments: