Sarah and I are currently sitting in a little internet cafe in Panajachel near Lago de Atitlán, a volcano-surrounded crater lake in the highlands of Guatemala. We are here for the weekend to enjoy a little get-away and then it´s back to Spanish 5 hours a day.
A quick review of the week: we began Spanish classes on Monday at our socialist-leaning school, Proyecta Linguistica de Queztalteco de Español. It´s the first time that I´ve had words like ¨socialism¨, ¨brotherhood¨, and ¨solidarity¨ in my first vocabulary lesson. The environment is great and you can´t help but learn with 5 hours of one-on-one instruction in a day.
Tuesday night was stressful as I submitted my application for residency then. We were up late at an internet cafe obsessively reading the personal statement *just one more time*. However I was finally able to relax Wednesday morning on a field trip to a natural hot springs (see photo).
We just had an excellent lunch of pizza - cheese is heaven for the protein-deprived vegetarian in the family - and will now continue our exploration of this little town, albeit in the rain. Pictures to follow one day. Adios!
Updated: Pictures now available at: http://picasaweb.google.com/cassidy.claassen/LagoDeAtitlan
Friday, September 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment